中 文

Home > Place To Go > Garden of Eternal Spring (Changchun Garden)

Garden of Eternal Spring (Changchun Garden)

   The Garden of Eternal Spring is situated in Haidian District, south of the Old Summer Palace (Yuanmingyuan Park) and west of Peking University. It was constructed during the Ming Dynasty, by Li Wei, who was the grandfather of Emperor Wanli. Based on historical records, it covered about 8000 acres and was bestowed the honor of being the best garden in Peking. It was originally known as Tsinghua Garden.

 

  There were a number of landscape architectures in the Garden such as Front Lake, Back Lake, Hall of Yi Hai, Pavilion of Elegance and Pavilion of Gathering Flowers. During the Qing dynasty, a famous court painter, Ye Tao, and a southern gardener, Chang Ran, redesigned Tsinghua Garden into an imperial summer resort, which was then renamed as the Garden of Eternal Spring. They adopted examples of southern Chinese landscape and domesticated Wanquan River into the garden. To prevent inundations, they had also built up the West Dam at the east ofthe Winter Palace.

 

Garden of Eternal Spring (Changchun Garden)

 

  Ever since the new garden was put into service, Emperor Kangxi spent almost half of his time each year living in it until his death in 1722. Thereafter, Emperors Yongzheng and Qianlong lived in the Winter Palace, with the garden decorated as residence for empress dowagers. Among them, Dowager Chongqing, mother of Emperor Qianlong, lived there for 42 years. However, with the subsequent decline of the Qing dynasty, the government gradually stopped managing it. Up until the Daoguang period, the garden had been so dilapidated that Dowager Gongci had no choice but to move into the Winter Palace.

 

  In 1860, the garden was burnt down together with Winter Palace by the Anglo-French allied army. It was only during the reign of Tongzhi when remaining building materials were used to repair the palace. When the Eight-Nation Alliance arrived at Peking in 1900, they ransacked last bit of the trees and stone materials. At the time of Republican period, the garden had become a wasteland, with only two glazed gates in front of Enyou Temple and Enmu Temple.

 

Garden of Eternal Spring (Changchun Garden)

 

  Today, the site has been converted into building sand dormitories for Peking University. During the construction of the 4th Ring Road, the Beijing government discovered the foundation of garden, and from 1981, officially listed Enyou Temple and Enmu Temple as protected sites.

Recommended Places Around Garden of Eternal Spring (Changchun Garden)

Garden of Eternal Spring (Changchun Garden)

Admission:

20

Opening Hours:

7:00-19:00

Phone:010-62881144

Best Time to Visit: Whole Year