Origin of Suzhou Street at the Summer Palace2016-01-15 14:47:01Share:
In Qing Dynasty (1644-1911), the Emperor Qianlong was very fond of travelling. Once, he took his mother to visit Hangzhou. It was the first time that the empress dowager had been to the south of the Yangtze River. The trip broadened her horizon. After she returned to the Forbidden City, she couldn’t forget the beautiful sceneries of the South China. But she was too old to visit the places frequently.
To please his mother, the Emperor Qianlong ordered workers to build a southern style business street with 1,000 meters long stretching from the Temple of Longevity (Wanshou Temple) to the Haidian Township. Not only the street looked like the street in Suzhou, but the vendors on the street were elected from the Suzhou City. So, the street was commonly called as the Suzhou Street. However, it was burned down when the British and French allied troops invaded China in 1860. Although its original style has gone, the old name was still used nowadays.
The Imperial Gardens
5 Bests of the Summer Palace
5 Recommended Chinese Delicacies in Autumn Season
The Beauty of China’s Spring Teas
5 Beijing-Style Breakfast You Must Try
"Haidian" is a Must for Travelers in Beijing
7 Ways to Wrap A Dumpling
Bars and Nightclubs in Haidian District
A Hot Pot Restaurant Full of Happy Elements