The History of Fragrant Hills Park2016-03-23 09:45:49Share:
Fragrant Hills Park was originally built in 1186 (more than 800 years ago) by Emperor Shizong (Wanyanyong) during the Jin Dynasty. At that time, Emperor Shizong built a temple on this mountain named big Yongan temple or Ganlu temple, which is the predecessor of Xiangshan temple. Ever since then, it was expanded and renovated by emperors of the Jin, Yuan, Ming and Qing Dynasties respectively. In 1745, Emperor Qianlong (1711-1799) ordered a large-scale construction and many new halls, pavilions and gardens were added to the park which increased the myth of the park . 28 beautiful scenes, such as Qingzhen palace, Lvyun fang, Yulu Spring, Xiangshan temple, Yuxiang room, etc, as well as an enclosing wall were set up and Qianlong named it Jingyi Park, which means a Garden of Tranquility and Pleasure. Jingyi Garden was one of the famous "three mountains five gardens" in the west of Beijing city at that time.
Unfortunately, In 1860, British troops set the Old Summer Palace ablaze, burning it to the ground along with the fragrant hill Gardens ,causing extensive damage to many relics in the park. Another attack in 1900 by the Eight-Nation Alliance caused destruction to the park and to the Summer Palace built by Empress Dowager Cixi. The Anglo-French Army and the Eight Power Allied Forces burned it to ashes in 1860 and 1900 respectively.
In March 1949, the Central Committee of the Chinese Communist Party moved to Beijing from Hubei, and was headquartered at Fragrant Hills. Since then, the Chinese government has been engaged in continuous restoration and development in the area. After a half-century's restoration and development by Chinese government, it has been recognized as one of the ten most famous parks in Beijing. Comrade Mao Zedong lived in Shuangqing Villa, from where he directed the famous “Crossing the Chang Jiang River Campaign” during the War of Liberation. Inside the Villa are various displays and cultural relics. However, it's the views of the countryside, which are the most attractive thing about the Park. From Ghost Fear peak on a fine day, (Ghosts apparently fear heights!) one can see the Yongding River, Luding Bridge, Prospect Hills, Summer Palace, Yuquan Hill and the outskirts of the city.
Fragrant Hills was formally opened as a park in 1956. in 1984 ,it was listed as one of the Beijing municipal cultural relics protection unit in 1979, shuang qing villa was listed as one of the Beijing municipal cultural relics protection unit.in 1956, Blue cloud temple was praised as a municipal cultural relics protection unit and upgraded to the national cultural relics protection units in June 2001. Nowadays, Fragrant Hills has developed into a world-renowned forest park that attracts large numbers of visitors from China and abroad.
discover more about the Fragrant Hills Park:
The Imperial Garden
5 Bests of the Summer Palace
5 Recommended Chinese Delicacies in Autumn Season
The Beauty of China’s Spring Teas
5 Beijing-Style Breakfast You Must Try
"Haidian" is a Must for Travelers in Beijing
7 Ways to Wrap A Dumpling
Bars and Nightclubs in Haidian District
A Hot Pot Restaurant Full of Happy Elements