home > science tour > science > Beautiful University Campuses in Haidian District

Beautiful University Campuses in Haidian District

2016-09-07 10:35:48Share:

  Peking University


  Yenching University moved to the sites of Shao Yuan and Shuchun Yuan in Haidian in 1927 The university changed its name to Peking University in 1949. The former gardens like Minghe Yuan, Langrun Yuan, Jingchun Yuan, Weixiu Yuan, Chengze Yuan and Changchun Yuan formed the beautiful scenery of the campus.

gate of peking university


  Weiming Lake


  Weiming Lake area is one of the most beautiful places in Peking University. It was the central part of the famous Shuchun Yuan in the Qing Dynasty. Arranged in traditional Chinese style, the architectural complex makes full use of the hills and waters in the area and emphasizes the harmony of building space and the surroundings, symmetry, layout, clear function partition, good proportion and excellent architectural craft.


  Chengze Yuan


  Situated in Guajiatun village in Haidian, Chengze Yuan was first built in 1725 and survived the damage during the invasion by the Eight-Nation Alliance. The front part of the garden features hill and water while the back part features architecture. It is a garden built in northern style in West Beijing.


  Enmu Temple Gate & Enyou Temple Gate


  Enmu Temple Gate is outside the West Gate of Peking University. Emperor Qianlong’s mother used to live in Changchun Yuan and she died in 1777. Emperor Qianlong built Enmu Temple next to Enyou Temple to show his grief and respect for his mother. Today only the gate of Enmu Temple remains.


  Enyou Temple Gate is 50 meters north of Enmu Temple Gate. The temple was built in 1723 by Emperor Yongzheng to pay homage to his father Emperor Kangxi who often lived in Changchun Yuan in his autumn years and died there. Enyou Temple had three courtyards but only the temple gate survives now.


  Edgar Snow’s Tomb


  Edgar Snow was an American journalist best known for his book Red Star over China. Snow had made great contributions to the mutual understanding and friendship between the Chinese people and the American people. He died in Geneva in 1972. According to his wishes, half of his ashes were buried on the campus of Peking University, alongside Weiming Lake in 1973.


  Tsinghua University


  Tsinghua School, the predecessor of Tsinghua University, was built in 1911. Though Tsinghua was greatly influenced by Western culture in its early stage of development, the educators of Tsinghua have attached great importance to fine Chinese culture. Not only architecture of imperial gardens but also Western architecture can be found on the campus. What’s more, the university has been known for its all-inclusive academic thoughts.

Tsinghua University


  Early buildings of Tsinghua University


  The early buildings of Tsinghua University mainly consist of three parts: Tsinghua School and Tong Fang Bu built in 1911 and 1912; the Grand Auditorium, science building, gymnasium, and library built between 1919 and 1925; the life science building, chemistry building, library (extension), meteorological observatory, school gate, mechanical engineering building, electrical engineering building, and five dormitory buildings built between 1931 and 1933.


  Built in 1917, the Grand Auditorium is a centerpiece of the old campus. Mixing Greek and Roman architectural styles, the auditorium has a rounded roof, a brass gate, and four large white marble columns. It was designed by H. K. Murphy and R.H. Dana, and was modeled on a typical US university in the 19th century.


  The Monument of Wang Guowei


  Wang Guowei was a famous Chinese scholar, who made important contributions to the studies of ancient history and epigraphy. In 1925, he was appointed professor by Tsinghua University. In 1927, he drowned himself in Kunming Lake in the Summer Palace. His monument was erected to the southeast of Gong Zi Ting in 1929. The monument was designed by Liang Sicheng and the epitaph was written by Chen Yinke.

The Imperial Gardens