Hidden Temples in Haidian District2016-09-08 16:41:16Share:
Haidian District is a place with abundant cultural deposit. It not only has famous historical and cultural scenic spots “Three Hills and Five Gardens”, also there are lots of tales about these temples. Now I will take you have a look at the temples in Haidian District. How many have you been to?
The Beijing Wofo Temple, also known as Shifangpujue Temple
As a royal temple of Zen Buddhism, a branch of Mahayana Buddhism in Tang Dynasty, the Wofo Temple is located in the Beijing Botanical Garden, and is one of the national key cultural relic’s protection units. The Qing Dynasty emperor Yong Zheng called it "The first mountain scenic spot", "The best place with tranquility of the West Mountain ". According to the tale, in the 19th year of Zhenguan Period, Tang Dynasty, Monk Xuanzang came back to Changan city with lots of scriptures and Buddha statues from India. Emperor Taizong Li Shimin of Tang dynasty welcomed him outside of the town with tens of thousands of monks, unprecedentedly. Since then, China started a wave of building temples. There was one person built a temple in today's western suburb of Beijing, named Doulv Temple. It was the predecessor of the Wofo Temple.
According to historical literature, the Wofo Temple was built in the period of Zhenguan, Tang Dynasty. There was a sandalwood-made statue of laying Buddha. The Doulv Temple once changed its name to Zhaoxiao, Hongqing, Yongan Temple. After the reconstruction in the 12th year of Yongzheng Period, Qing dynasty (1734), the temple was given name “Shifangpujue Temple” by the emperor. Because there was a lying Buddha made out of copper enshrined in the temple, people started calling it the“Wofo Temple”. The temple has more than 1300 years of history, and is one of the oldest existing temples in Beijing. The Wofo Temple architectural complex has a construction layout of early Chinese Buddhist temples, followed from “Jialan seven halls system “of Tang dynasty, which is extremely rare in Beijing. There are five landscapes that make the Wofo Temple so outstanding, which are half-moon pond, Ancient Ginkgo, Ancient Winter Sweet, the eighteen Arhats and the lying Buddha.
Tel: (010) 62591561
The Juesheng Temple
The Juesheng Temple,commonly known as the Dazhong Temple, covers an area of about three million square meters, was built in the eleventh year of emperor Yong Zheng (1733), Qing dynasty. The temple is facing south, and its main buildings in the middle, from south to north, are the Screen Wall (destroyed), the Gate of the Mountain, the Bell and Drum towers, the son of heaven Palace, the Hall of Ceremony, The apse, the Grand Bell Tower and the Sutra Depositor. Also there are two side halls by the main Palace. As the core construction of the temple, the Grand Bell Tower has a circular top and a square ground, 20 meters high and it represents that the earth is circular on the top and square on the bottom.
Hanging inside, the Yongle Bell, also known as the Huayan Bell, was designated to build in the capital by the emperor Zhudi, Yongle Emperor of Ming dynasty for its ‘Huayan Lection” engraved on the surface of the bell. It was first restored in the Han Lection Factory, then moved to the Wanshou Temple” and then again moved to the Juesheng Temple. The Bell is the biggest copper bell in the world with 6.75 meters high, 3.3 meters wide and 46.6 tons weight. There are over 230 thousand words, more than 100 varieties of lection engraved both inside and outside the bell. Because of it, the Yongle Bell owns a title of “the Bell with most inscriptions”. People say that the inscriptions were written by a skilled calligrapher name Shendu. The framework of the Bell carrier contains 8 large beam columns and 3 beams, and they are jointed by a copper nail with a length of 1 meter and a width of 6 centimeters. As the best of world ancient bells, the sound of Yongle bell is so clear that a man in hundreds of miles away can hear it. In the early 1980s, the Grand Bell Temple was renovated and reopened as the Grand Bell Temple Ancient Bell Museum. Inside the museum, there are over 400 ancient bells displayed there, dated from back to before Qin dynasty to Qing dynasty in order to show the history of Chinese ancient bell history.
Address: No. 31, North Road, Haidian District, Beijing
The Biyun Temple
Located at the east foot of the Fragrance Hills, former name was the Biyun Nunnery, built in Yuan Dynasty, and is the most complete temple of the West Mountain Scenic Area. The Biyun Temple has a great similarity to the Lingyin Temple in the West Lake. The entire temple area is over 40 thousand square meters, with the Luo Han Hall, the Sun Zhongshan memorial Hall, the Spring Yard, the Guardian warriors Pagoda and other attractive resorts. The scenery of the temple is amazingly beautiful with pines and cypress trees.
Outside the gate of the hill, there is a suspended bridge with locust trees and willow trees; a stream lying down the bridge, which, for four seasons, does not dry up. In front of the door, there is a pair of famous stone lions. There are six layers from the gate to the top of the temple. In the main axle wire, there is four-layer palace, behind it, are the vividly tall, powerful and brave Hengha General (the two ferocious Gigantic Guardians). Also there is chubby Maitreya Buddha in the front chamber, Shakya Muni statue in the middle of the front chamber too. Inside the hall, there is an exquisitely carved ceiling of golden dragon, in the middle it’s the statue of the Buddha preaching, surrounded by his disciples and Arhats. A well-renovated Sunzhongshan Memorial Hall is behind the palace. In the yard of Hall, pines and cypress and grass surround a great statue of Sunzhongshan, there is also an exhibition room in the yard of Sun Zhongshan Hall. Through the stairs all the way up to the top and a 34 meters long arch lane, you will see the tallest building of the temple- the Guardian warriors Pagoda. The pagoda is 34.7meters high, with magnificent architecture and exquisite carving. The pagoda is a well-known pagoda in Beijing and also is the highest point of the West Mountain. When you are on the top of the pagoda, you have a full view of the suburb of Beijing.
Address: Fragrant Hills Park, west Business street, Fragrant Hills
Tel: (010) 62591264
The Dajue Temple
The Dajue temple was built in Liao Dynasty, called the clean water yard. In Jin dynasty, the Dajue Temple was one of the famous eight West mountain water yards. After reconstruction, its name changed to the Lingquan Temple, then changed to the present one in Ming dynasty. This temple is famous for clear springs, ancient trees, beautiful magnolias and peaceful environment. There are over 160 ancient trees includes over 1000 years old Ginkgos, 300 years old Magnolias, an old Gusuoluo and pines. The magnolias from Dajue Temple, the lilacs from Fayuan Temple and the peonies from Chongxiao Temple are called Beijing three flower temples.
The Dajue Temple has elegant environment, surrounded by mountains. Standing before the temple, you will have an open view with fertile plain land in front and undulated hills behind. Among the rich forest, a creek is flowing down from the back of temple. The creek is so clean and never dries up. Inside the yard, a magnolia was moved there from Sichuan province in Qianlong period, Qing dynasty with the petal the same size as a bowl, vivid color and is 300 old. It's the best in Beijing. Also there is a tall and ancient ginkgo; people call it “the Ginkgo King”.The ginkgo is so big that needs six people to environ, its shade coves up half of the yard. It is said that the ginkgo has already been living for over 1000 years.
Address: No. 9, Xishan Temple Road, Beianhe Town, Haidian District, Beijing City
Entrance ticket price: 20 yuan all year long
The Beijing Fragrant Hill Temple
Fragrant Hill Temple is located in the Fragrant Hill Park in Beijing, and has a long history, it is recorded that the Fragrant Hill Temple and the Jian Temple have existed since Tang dynasty. In 1186 the two temples were emerged and was given name “the Grand Yongan Temple” by emperor Zhangzong, Jin dynasty.
The Fragrant Hill Temple was rebuilt in Yuan dynasty and Ming dynasty and was given name Ganlu and Yongan respectively. In Qianlong period of Qing dynasty, the temple was enlarged and formed a unique temple construction style with the front street, the temple and the backyard. The Grand Yongan Temple is the name. It is one of the 28 special sights of the Jingyi Garden. Because the Fragrant Hill Park was built by the mountain and its spectacularity, it once was the very best of all the temples in the West Hill. In 1860 and 1900, the temple was burnt twice by English-French Allied Army and Eight-Nation Alliance.
Address: Fragrant Hills Park, west Business street, Fragrant Hills
Tel: (010) 62591264
The Imperial Gardens
5 Bests of the Summer Palace
5 Recommended Chinese Delicacies in Autumn Season
The Beauty of China’s Spring Teas
5 Beijing-Style Breakfast You Must Try
"Haidian" is a Must for Travelers in Beijing
7 Ways to Wrap A Dumpling
Bars and Nightclubs in Haidian District
A Hot Pot Restaurant Full of Happy Elements